- 3 tbsp
- 2.2lb steak, cut into very thin slices. It helps if you freeze it for around half an hour beforehand.
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 green peppers, sliced
- 2 cups chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 18 slices mozzarella
- Cheese sauce
Supposedly invented by a bored hot dog vendor in the 1930s, the winning combination of succulent sauteed beef, melted cheese and bread has earned the philly cheesesteak its place in the hall of fame. Our take on this American classic takes the poor burrito, that oft bastardised imitation of a rich and ancient cuisine, and stuffs it with all the good stuff, then pours cheese sauce all over it. Have pity, food gods.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed frying pan and fry the steak quickly. Remove from the pan.
- Add the peppers and onions and fry until soft, then add the steak back in and season everything with the pepper, salt and garlic powder. Take off the heat.
- In a small bowl whisk the flour and water. Stick the tortillas together in a truncated triangle shape - three along the bottom, two along the top. Place some mozzarella on the bottom layer and top with a layer of the cheesesteak mix, then another layer of mozzarella, then more mix and more mozzarella. Carefully roll the whole thing up, cover with cheese sauce and bake until the sauce is bubbling and it's heated through, roughly 30 mins.