What You’ll Need:
- 1k/2lb stewing beef
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 bottle red wine
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 sturdy small round loaves of bread
How You Make It:
- Preheat oven/hearth to 140°C/380°F
- Brown the beef in a large casserole (or cauldron over a fire) in batches – if you do too much at once it’ll boil! Once it’s all browned remove to a bowl.
- Fry onions and garlic together until soft, then add garlic and leave to fry for a further minute. Pour over tomatoes, red wine and sprinkle with thyme, pepper and salt.
- Stir all together and allow to come to the boil, then cover and leave to bake for around 3 hours, or until really soft and delicious.
- Cut the tops of each loaf and scoop out the bread in the middle then pour in the stew with plenty of gravy.
- Serve in your banqueting hall before a big night out pillaging or, even better, a massive war. Don’t forget to murder your guests halfway through the meal for that extra touch!