- Slice the aubergines into 1cm thick disks.
- Panne them - dip them in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil to around 170°C (use a mild olive oil if you like, or vegetable oil)
- Fry the slices in batches then dab them with paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- Meanwhile, make your tomato sauce - simply put tinned tomatoes, onion and garlic cloves in a saucepan with a lid and simmer away until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Time to make the sub!
- Toast the bread on both sides then drizzle with a little extra olive oil. Spread on some tomato sauce, then place fried aubergine slices and top with torn mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat.
- Place the top slice of bread on and bake the whole thing until the cheese has melted.