Courtesy of a new collaboration with Dubai Tourism, this Luqaimat doughnut dessert will help keep you cool, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or in the middle of the desert! Made with sumptuously smooth pistachio ice cream, these sweet sandwiches are the ultimate way to end any meal. Just be sure to make enough for everyone!
- In a food processor, add the pistachios and salt. Blend until the mixture is a smooth paste, scraping the sides of the machine every so often. Add the condensed milk to the pistachio paste and blend to combine.
- Pour in the whipped cream and blend until thickened and combined. Scrape the side to make sure all the paste is incorporated. Pour into a lined 2” deep tray and smooth the top. Freeze until solid, 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Add sugar and yeast to a small bowl, cover with warm water and set aside for 5 min or until you see small bubbles on the surface, which means that the yeast is activated.
- Into a large bowl, sift flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Add saffron and cardamom and mix well.
- Gradually add the water-yeast mixture and keep stirring until the dough has a good (quite soft/runny) consistency. Cover with cling film and let it rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, add the syrup ingredients to a small pot and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat.
- Heat oil to 170ºC.
- Mix the batter with a spoon. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop large dollops of batter and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides then drain on paper towel.
- Coat in the syrup and then slice in half.
- Cut rounds of the pistachio ice cream and place inside the luqaimat. Roll the sides in crushed pistachios, serve immediately!