These pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls are perfect for autumn!
- Mix together all of the pumpkin spice ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, stir together milk, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast blooms and is foamy.
- Whisk in eggs, butter, pumpkin puree, and brown sugar. Then add the flour, salt, and pumpkin spice and stir to combine. This will be quite a sticky dough!
- Transfer to a surface dusted with flour, and dust the dough as well. Knead to combine into a large ball, use a dough scraper to help if too sticky. Don’t add too much extra flour; the stickier and more hydrated the dough- the softer the buns will be!
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled in size.
- When doubled in size, transfer to a flour-dusted surface and roll out to a large rectangle about ¼” thick. Spread the softened butter evenly over the surface. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice together then spread evenly over the butter.
- Roll into a tight log, from the long side. Divide into 12 and cut using floss or string for clean cuts. Transfer carefully to a large greased baking dish with some room in between to grow. Cover with a dishtowel, and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter, sugar, and pecans over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until the sugar caramelizes and starts to smoke a bit. Then remove and transfer the nuts to a parchment-lined tray to cool. When cool break apart into small bits.
- To make the icing, whip the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar about ½ cup at a time until l smooth.
- Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and risen. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly then spread icing over top and sprinkle with candied pecans.