What You’ll Need:
- 6 cups or 720g of flour
- 2 cups or 470ml of warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2&1/4 tsp dried active yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp veg oil
- 6 food colouring gels, the colours of the rainbow
How You Make It:
- Mix half your water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and leave to stand for 15-20 minutes or until foamy.
- Go in with your flour, oil, salt and remaining water to the mix. Mix on low in your kitchenaid for 5 minutes if you have one. If not, hands will do the job just fine. Knead for about 7-8 minutes, or until nice and smooth.
- Pop in a greased bowl to prove for 1 hour (preferably somewhere warm).
- Divide into 6 and add food dyes. Mix in.
- Stretch each ball of dough out and line them up next to each other.
- Twist the 6 doughs together. Separate into 5 inch pieces, then curl each one round to form a bagel. Cover and leave to prove for a further 10 minutes.
- Boil in water to which you have added 1 tbsp sugar. Drain on a rack and allow to dry.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 230degs.