- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2lb lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 12 tortillas
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
The taste of cheeseburgers is surely one of the most sublime experiences on this earth. Up there with your first kiss, the first time you see snow, your first cheeseburger is one of those seminal life moments. All the more reason to serve this to your friends - you can all go one one lovely nostalgia trip together.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and gently fry the onion. Cook until soft, roughly 5 minutes, then add the garlic and stir again.
- Add the mince and break it up with a wooden spoon. Allow to brown on all sides and then add the salt, pepper and tomato ketchup.
- Allow to thicken then and take off the heat. Leave to cool for around half an hour.
- Cut eight of the tortillas in half and leave the other four whole.
- Line a baking sheet and brush it with melted butter, then lay the cut tortillas around the edges, cut side facing outwards against the edge. Place two of the whole tortillas in the middle and lay a layer of American cheese over them. Spread the beef mixture on top and top with more cheese then another layer of tortillas. Brush with more butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes then uncover and grill for a final 5 minutes to crisp up.