- 1 medium free-range chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black peppers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seed, bashed a bit
For the paste:
- 1 cup coconut pieces
- 1 cup cashew nuts, toasted
- 1 large fistful mint leaves
- 1 large fistful coriander, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- Fried onions
- greek yoghurt
- dried rose petals (optional)
- Cut the backbone from the chicken. Press down firmly on the breast bone to flatten the chicken. Rub with oil, salt, turmeric, black pepper and cumin. Place on a rack over a baking tray and tuck in the wings.
- Roast at 200°C for 50 minutes- 1 hour. Grill for extra colour if necessary.
- Meanwhile, add all of the paste ingredients to the blender. Whizz until smooth, then fry in 2 tbsp oil over medium heat until the oil separates from the masala. Add one tin of coconut milk, a pinch of salt and the juice of 1 lime. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Add sauce to a large serving platter. Joint the chicken and place atop the sauce. Garnish with fried onions.
- Serve with yoghurt and parathas!