1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup egg whites
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
12 cups vanilla buttercream
3/4 cup glucose or clear corn syrup
Red food coloring
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF)Grease and flour one 8- inch round cake pan and 1 large glass bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg whites and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 stages, alternating with milk; making 3 additions of flour and 2 of buttermilk. Scrape batter into prepared pans, smoothing tops.
- oven until cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 35 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Invert onto racks; peel off parchment paper. Let cool completely.
- Mix some red food coloring into the vanilla icing and mix until desired pink is achieved.
- Mix together glucose with red food coloring until bright red. Pour into a
- Trim tops of cakes to level if necessary. Spread a dab of icing in center of cake plate; top with 1 cake layer, cut side up. Spread icing over cut side of the flat cake. Add strawberries evenly over top. Place down bowl cake layer flat side down. Cover with a thin layer of icing to coat. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to set.
- Cut the sides off the cake to create an oval shape. Eat cut pieces.
- Place remaining icing in a piping bag fitted with a large circle piping tip. Pipe one line down the center of the cake. Pipe a squiggly line on either side of the line. Then continue squiggly lines down the sides and front and back.
- Squeeze red glucose in the middle and around the creases to create a bleeding effect.