S'mores are one of those indulgent desserts that bring us all back to our childhood. This cake embodies the graham cracker like shell, melted chocolate and gooey marshmallow. This s'mores cake is perfectly balanced and a crowd pleaser.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).Grease and line two square cake tins with parchment coming up the sides. Mix cookie crumbs and butter in a bowl until the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Divide mixture evenly between the two prepared pans. Press mixture down into the base of the pan with the bottom of a measuring cup or a spatula. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and instant coffee.
- Add in the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Gradually and carefully pour in the boiling water. Mix gently to combine.
- Divide mixture between the two cake tins. Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit in the cake tins for 5 minutes or so, then invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. Heat the cream and corn syrup for about 2 minutes until steaming. Pour over finely chopped chocolate. Let sit for 30 seconds and then stir to melt completely. Set aside to thicken, stirring every so often.
- To make the meringue, heat about 2-inches of water in a pot to a simmer. Place a large bowl over top. Add egg whites and sugar. Whisk the mixture constantly to combine. Cook until the sugar is completely dissolved. Carefully dip your index finger and thumb n the mixture and run the mixture between them to see if the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Whip the mixture on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Place one layer of cake on a board. Spread a layer of ganache on top. Place the second layer of cake with the biscuit side on the ganache. Spread remaining ganache on the cake and smooth. Let chill if needed.
- Spread meringue mixture over cake and using a spatula create peaks. Toast with a blowtorch.
- Spread a bit of butter on the blade of a sharp knife. Slice cake, serve and enjoy!