Think some of your favorite childhood flavors: chocolate cake and honeycomb, and you'll be craving Tara's Triple Chocolate Honeycomb Cake! Give this decadent chocolate cake with chocolate-dipped, bubbly honeycomb on top a go and you'll be transported back to childhood.
- In a large saucepan, stir together sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat just until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil and continue to cook without stirring. Cover with a lid partially and let bubble until candy thermometer reaches the hard-crack stage of 148ºC
- Remove from heat. Whisk in baking soda.
- Pour into a greased foil-lined large pan. Let cool without disturbing, about 2 hours. Break into pieces. Dip pieces in melted chocolate if desired.
- Grease and line three 8-inch round cake tins. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla into a large jug and whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until smooth.
- Gradually pour the hot water into the mixture and mix until smooth. Divide evenly between the 3 pans leaving ½” room.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, add all of the ingredients to a food processor excluding the melted chocolate. Scrape the bowl being sure everything from the bottom is incorporated. Once the mix is smooth, pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the ganache drip, Heat cream until just steaming and pour over chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Let cool until just warm to the touch.
Place a smudge of icing on a cake board. Top with one layer of cake. Spread a layer of icing over top. And repeat with remaining cakes and icing. Then cover it with a thicker layer of icing to coat. Smooth and chill in the fridge. Drip the chocolate on top and cover with sponge toffee pieces!