Tuscan Chicken Wellington
- Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 6
What you need
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jar sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bag baby spinach
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup double/heavy cream
- 2 cups grated parmesan
- 6 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp mixed Italian herbs
Before we commence, apologies to all the Nonnas of Tuscany, who will doubtless be utterly bewildered by this recipe. Apologies to the web savvy progeny of these great Italian cooks who will righteously storm the internet, bewailing the desecration of their countries fine cuisine. Apologies, but please remember - it's only meant to be a bit of fun.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and fry the onion until soft, then add the mushrooms and fry hard to get some colour. Turn down the heat a little and add the garlic, then stir in the sun fried tomatoes, stir everything together and add the spinach. Cover and cook until wilted, then season.
- Pour over the cream and the parmesan and stir everything together. Bring to a simmer and reduce the cream and set aside.
- Use a rolling pin to bash each chicken breast between two sheets of clingfilm. Sprinkle with salt and Italian seasoning.
- On another sheet of clingfilm lay all the chicken breasts, slightly overlapping, to make a square.
- Spread with the creamy mushroom mix.
- Roll up the whole thing using the clingfilm as a guide.
- Carefully lay it at one end of the sheet of puff pastry and roll up the whole thing, using egg wash to stick the edges together.
- Brush with egg yolk and bake for 45 mins.