2 tbsp butter
1 cup caramel
3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
This Upside Down Caramel Apple Cake is covered with a luscious top layer of caramel and loaded with apples over an extremely moist sponge. Perfect served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pour caramel into the bottom of a 9” non-stick pan. Arrange apples in a pattern around the edge and in the centre.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter with granulated and brown sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
- 3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 2 additions of dry ingredients and 1 of buttermilk
- 4. Bake in 160ºC oven for 35-40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.
- 5. Serve with vanilla ice cream, enjoy!