All Veg No Noodle "Lasagna"
What you need
- 1 jar roasted red peppers (skinned)
- 1 large or 2 small aubergine, sliced lengthwise about 1cm thick
- 3 courgettes, sliced lengthwise about 1cm thick
- breadcrumbs, mixed with a few thyme leaves, 1 cup
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella
- 1 fat clove garlic
- 1 large jar good-quality passata
- 2/3 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp black olives, torn up a bit
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- thyme leaves, from a few sprigs
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- Place the courgette and aubergine slices on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 200°C, flipping half way, for 20 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the quick tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a saute pan (with a lid) and chuck in the onion. When translucent, add the garlic. Chuck in the capers, olives, passata, thyme, sugar and season well with salt and pepper. Cover and cook down for 10 minutes over low heat. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a bit.
- Build the lasagna. Put some sauce in the bottom of the dish. Top with courgette. Now cheese, then more sauce. Tomatoes, aubergine, more cheese and tomato sauce follow. Top with a neat layer of red pepper. Add cottage cheese, the rest of the tomato sauce, then the mozzarella, parmesan and breadcrumbs. Drizzle liberally with oil and pop in the oven to bake at 180°C for 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then destroy.