5 people people
1 hour, plus freezing time
- 2kg maris piper potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 tin of black beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 150g flour
- 100ml soya milk
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
A wonderful snack for your vegan pals, but delicious enough to satisfy even your most carnivorous friends.
- Fry off the onion, carrots and celery in some oil on low-medium heat until they start to soften. Throw in the garlic and cook out for one minute. Add the mushrooms turn up the heat. Fry off until they have released their moisture and are starting to caramelise.
- Add the red and green peppers along with the smoked paprika, cumin, chilli powder and cayenne pepper. Cook out for 2 mins, stirring all the while. Add the chopped tomatoes along with the tomato puree, vegetable stock and red wine and simmer for 20 mins on low heat. Tip in the beans and simmer for another 10 mins. Add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Fill an ice cube tray with the chilli mixture and pop in the freezer for 5 hours, or until they are solid ice cubes.
- Pop the potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water. Season with a large pinch of salt, then bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 mins, until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes, push through a sieve then return to the pan. Add the vegan butter, soya milk, salt and pepper and beat until it is smooth and lump free. Set aside to cool.
- Pop out the chilli cubes from the ice cube tray. Grab a large handful of the potato and flatten into a disc. Put the ice cube in the centre of the disc and work the potato around it to create a large ball. Repeat with the remaining potato and chilli cubes.
- Combine the flour with the soya milk so that it forms a loose paste and put the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Dip the balls in the flour paste followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Fill a large sturdy pan a third of the way with vegetable oil. Heat to 160C, then carefully put the balls in the fryer a few at a time. Fry for 5 mins, until they are golden and piping hot all the way through. Serve and enjoy!