- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 peppers, finely diced
- 300g mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained of liquid
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 fresh lasagna sheets
- 30g Italian hard cheese, grated
- 2 balls light mozzarella, torn into small pieces
Closing the gap between Italy and Mexico is no mean feat. It’s 6,000 miles, after all. However, we have brought together the flavours from both of these foodie favourites and created delicious Chilli Lasagna Roll-Ups. Beautifully simple and incredibly tasty, this is funky, flavoursome fusion food which is entirely guilt-free.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Fry the garlic briefly in the olive oil before adding the onion, peppers and mushrooms. Cook down together until they have released most of their liquid, then add the cumin, cayenne, paprika and oregano.
- Stir everything together before adding the chopped tomatoes and their juice along with the kidney beans. Add a splash of water if the mixture is looking too dry. Season to taste and leave the mixture to cool.
- Take the fresh lasagna sheets and lay each one flat. Spread the cooled chilli mixture onto each sheet and sprinkle with a little of the parmesan and some of the shreds of mozzarella. Carefully roll each one up, from the small end of the rectangle to the other. Lay them snugly in a baking dish and top with any remaining chilli, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, until the pasta sheets are tender and everything is looking melted and delicious.