- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed lidded casserole over a medium heat. Fry the beef mince in large pieces until browned all over then use a slotted spoon to remove from the pan. Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Add another splash of oil if necessary then add the carrot, onion and celery and fry gently until softened, roughly 10 - 15 mins.
- Remove from the pan again and add the streaky bacon. Fry until crisp then add the tomato puree and return the vegetables to the pan.
- Add the flour along with the cayenne and black pepper and mix through the vegetables and beef. Add the stout, HP sauce, Worcestershire sauce and thyme, mixing everything together thoroughly. Add a sprinkle of salt.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and place in the oven with a lid half on, stirring occasionally, until the beef is tender in a thick sauce, roughly 3 hours.
- In a pan mix together the cooked spaghetti with a few large spoons of the sauce and the pasta water to make an emulsified sauce.
- Serve with more mounds of the sauce on top and copious amounts of grated cheese and garlic bread. Rule Britannia!