- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Toast the spices in a pan until they smell aromatic. Bash them in a mortar and pestle or put them in a spice grinder.
- Use your hands to mix the oregano into the sausagemeat. Break into small pieces and fry all over until browned and cooked through. Fry all over and remove and keep in a bowl, leaving as much fat in the pan as possible.
- Turn down the heat and add the onion. Fry, stirring frequently, until light brown and caramelised. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Pour in the passata and bring to a very light simmer, then add the sugar, salt, cayenne paprika and mustard.
- Add the sausage back in and stir through the the mascarpone and double cream.
- Take off the heat and find a good sized baking dish.
- Layer the pasta with pieces of the torn mozzarella and finish with a layer of parmesan.
- Bake for around half an hour, or until bubbling with a golden crust.