- Start by preheating your oven to 180ºC degrees.
- Slice your bacon into small lardons and fry until brown and crispy. Remove from heat and set aside. Into a heavy based pot add milk and double cream, two cloves of peeled garlic, nutmeg, black pepper and salt. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Slice your potatoes on a mandolin or finely slice with your knife. Place potatoes into the pot with infused cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Slice a clove of garlic in half and rub all over your baking dish, making sure you get all the sides and the base covered. This will give a generous garlic flavour without it being overbearing. Then butter your baking dish to prevent sticking.
- Next blanch your peas in boiling water, around 30 seconds. Then remove from the pot and drop into an ice bath, to shock and quickly cool down the peas. (Or even better when microwaved)
- Once your potato slices are slightly softened, remove potato slices from the pot and begin layering into the baking dish. While layering your potatoes sprinkle ¾ of your Birds Eye peas and half of your bacon bits over the dish. Making sure they are evenly spread over and under the layers of potato. Remove garlic from infused cream and discard then pour cream over layered potatoes, peas and bacon.
- Tightly wrap the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 mins at 180 degrees. Until potatoes are lovely and soft.
- Remove the gratin from the oven, remove foil, sprinkle the remaining crispy bacon, the remaining Birds Eye Peas and grate gruyere over the dish and place back in the oven. Bake for another 8 minutes until the peas are cooked through and the cheddar has melted and become gooey