Onion rings - that crunchy noble celebration of the most ubiquitous of alliums. We've gone a step further and updated this classic by stuffing it with mash and a chunk of cheddar for a nice oozing surprise.
- Stir together the cooked mashed potatoes, butter, bacon, seasoning and parsley.
- Peel the onions and cut the roots and shoots off. Cut them in half (or three if they are particularly big onions) and separate them into rings.
- Press mash into the bottom of each ring, followed by a chunk of cheese and more mash mix. Press to seal.
- Set them all on a baking tray and leave them in the fridge for an hour.
- Add the flour, eggs and panko to some wide, deep bowls. Dip the onion rings one at a time first into the flour, then the eggs, then the panko. Make sure they are thoroughly coated - another dip in the egg and panko mix can make them a bit crunchier.
- Fry them in batches until they are golden and crisp. Leave to cool a little before serving.