As Gavin and Stacey memorably proved, you can’t beat a Bhuna. Why not celebrate one of Britain’s most beloved sitcoms and curries in one go with our sensational Chicken Bhuna Naan sandwich? Guaranteed to get the instant Smithy seal of approval. Bingeworthy nosh to enjoy in front of a bingeworthy boxset on BritBox.
- Roast the spice mix spices in a dry pan, then grind to a powder. Set aside.
- For the peppers, heat the oil in a pan and, when hot, chuck in the mustard seeds. When they pop, throw in the peppers. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes, until you have achieved a bit of char. Throw in the vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and remove from the heat to cool.
- Add the chicken to a bowl with the yoghurt and 1 tsp ginger/garlic paste, along with salt to taste. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- In a large non-stick pan with a lid, add 4 tbsp of neutral oil. When hot, chuck in the cumin seeds. When they sizzle, add the onion and a little salt. Cook until golden. Add the ginger-garlic paste, cook out briefly, then add the coriander, turmeric and chilli powders and cook for 30 seconds. Splash in 2 tbsp water. Add the tomato and reduce, then add the marinated chicken and fry briefly to seal, then place the lid on and cook for 20-25 minutes or so, without adding any water, so it cooks in its own juices. Add the dried fenugreek leaves and the roasted spice mix. Cook without the lid on until nicely dry. Set aside.
- Add the ingredients for the herb yoghurt to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Load into the heated naans with the herbed yoghurt, sweet/sour pickled peppers, dry chicken bhuna, crushed pappadoms and spiky lettuce.
- Enjoy while streaming your favourite British boxset on BritBox!
Sign up for your 30-day free trial of the biggest box of British boxsets here