If you’re craving a hit of umami, look no further than our Spanakopita Savoury Swirls. Using Onken Natural Set Yogurt, these swirls have a creamy spinach and cheese filling and are encased in a buttery, flaky filo pastry. Perfect for a midday snack, or as a whole meal if you’re feeling especially moreish. And because we’re looking to cut down on food waste, this is a great recipe if you’ve got some leftover spinach rattling around in the back of your fridge. As ever, if you’re not sure your food is still edible, check out the Too Good To Go initiative for some tips before you throw out something that could have made a delicious meal...
- Fry the onions and chilli flakes in oil until translucent. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a large pan with about 2 tbsp of water add the spinach and cook until wilted. Cover if needed to help steam. Remove into a cloth and squeeze out all the liquid from the spinach. Then chop well and add to the onions
- Add the feta, Onken Natural Set Yogurt, egg, herbs, lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine
- Take one sheet of filo and lay flat on the table with the long edge closest to you. Bush the bottom half of the pastry with butter then fold the sheet in half lengthways.
- Add filling along the one edge of the pastry leaving a gap on either side. Then roll into a long sausage shape and then into a coil.
- Make an egg wash with one egg and some water. Brush the spirals with the egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top
- Bake in a 190ºC preheat oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.