These naughty more-is treats will be your new favourite hangover cure. All the crunch and excitement of fried chicken in the comforting, familiar hug of a sandwich.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium-high heat and add your chicken breasts. Season in the pan and fry for 3 mins on each side, until golden and tender. Shred with a fork and set aside.
- Heat some butter in a small pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and cook out for 1 min, before adding your milk gradually in small increments, beating all the while. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and add your parmesan, mustard, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add your shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Spread a slice of bread with mayonnaise on both sides. Top with 4 slices of Cheddar, 5 slices of ham, 1/4 of the chicken mixture and 4 slices of Swiss. Add another slice of bread with mayonnaise on top.
- Heat a little oil in a hot frying pan. Add your sandwich and fry on each side until the toast is golden and cheese starting to melt. Leave to cool.
- Put your cornstarch in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together your buttermilk and egg. In a third bowl, combine your flour with all the spices and seasoning.
- Dip your sandwich in the cornflour, buttermilk and seasoned flour in turn. Leave the sandwiches on a rack for 10 mins for the flour to absorb into the buttermilk.
- Fill a large pan a third of the way with vegetable oil and heat to 170C. Gently lower your sandwich into the oil one at a time and fry for 4 mins, or until they are golden, crisp and craggley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!