- Remove the sausage meat from the casing in a bowl. Add a couple tablespoons of pesto and mix to combine. Then roll into meatballs the size of a ping-pong ball.
- Add a little bit of the pesto oil to a pan over medium heat. Sear the meatballs until golden brown then set aside.
- Add the can of tomatoes to the pan and wash the can out with some of the whey from the fresh mozzarella, pour into the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until it's thickened. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Add the meatballs and their juices back to the pan and cover in the sauce.
- Spread some pesto on each slice of bread and bake until golden brown. Then top each one with a saucy meatball and top with a slice of cheese. Grill/broil in the oven until the cheese is melted