This is a fabulously spiced vegetarian recipe which heroes eggs and other common store cupboard ingredients. Delicious eaten whilst still hot and crispy from the fryer!
- Boil your eggs for 6 minutes, then dunk in ice cold water to stop them cooking. Once cool, peel and set aside.
- Toast your cumin seeds and fennel seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for a minute or two until fragrant and starting to pop. Lightly crush in a pestle and mortar.
- Sift your gram flour and plain flour into a bowl, then add your spices, chilli, ginger, garlic and coriander. Stir to combine, then make a well in the middle and add your butter and water. Mix until just combined, then add your onions and season to taste.
- Heat some vegetable oil to 180°C in a medium sized saucepan.
- Dunk your eggs in flour, then wrap some bhaji mixture around them. Gently lower into the oil one at a time and fry for about 5 mins each until crisp and a deep brown colour. Repeat with your remaining eggs.
- Serve with mango chutney!