- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line two 8” cake tins.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites and whisk until combined. It will look slightly curdled. Add in the vanilla.
- Add in ? ? of the dry mixture followed by half the milk, another ? ? of dry, remaining milk and finish with folding in the last third of the dry ingredients.
- Divide the mixture into two 8-inch pans ? ? full. The rest of the mix will fit another cake tin but I’m going to make cupcakes instead.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let them cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing to cooling racks to cool completely
- Meanwhile, add the strawberries sugar and lemon zest to a bowl. Stir to combine and let them macerate in their juices for about 30 minutes
- Whip the cream cheese in a bowl until it’s smooth. In a separate bowl whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream through the cream cheese mix.
- Place one cake on a serving plate; top with half of the cream cheese mixture and strawberries. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator.